Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Thats what Authors do

It's official, I'm an author. And I have the business card to prove it:


Now I just have to get published. You know or finish something. I have a lot to do to to live up to my business card. Isn't it pretty!?

Why would an unpublished writer (not that there's anything wrong with that) have a business card you ask? I am going to my very first writers conference! It is the Romance Writers of America (of which my the ink on my membership card isn't even dry yet) National conference, which is taking place in Dallas. I am SO excited about it. And I am going by myself so I am wicked nervous as well.

Of course I am not a member of any local chapter, so I really won't know anyone. And to be perfectly honest I am not the outgoing type (at least when I don't know anyone). That was okay at first because I am really there to take the workshops anyway. But then I realized how much 'free' time we were given. I am totally going to be that girl in the corner who finds her drink very fascinating. They say this is a great time to go meet people. You know, go up to a table at lunch and ask if the empty chair is taken. Of course if it were me, when I ask if I can sit, the table will be full of very popular published authors, and they will be like "Umm... No. This is the popular kids table?" THEN they will be all offended that I didn't know who they were. (right because people can recognize authors. Show me a picture of your cover and then I'll know who you are) Already I am making enemy's and they don't even know me yet.

The dress code is business casual. Of course business casual for one state is not necessarily business casual for another. In NH business casual means khaki or even jeans and a nice top. So I am packing for everything. I went shopping with Amy this week and apparently I am going to be skirt girl. Even though I didn't know what business casual was, I was sure what it wasn't. I told Amy, I need my clothes to convey a particular message. I need people to look at from my spot in the corner, and say "Look at that lady in the corner, the one with what must be a really interesting drink, her clothes are telling me she is a really interesting and unique person. I feel compelled to go over and introduce myself" Can you do that with a $200 budget?

Oh and get this, there is a full on formal night, which believe it or not I already had a dress for.

Anywhoo, I am not shopping anything, which I think is a good thing. I can go experience this without an agenda, learn a lot, and scope everything out. My big goal is to meet some interesting people and to hopefully come out of this energized with a great critique group.

You know 'cause that's what authors do.

No comments: